People began exploring the idea of the bicycle in the middle of the 19th century and a huge variety of types emerged between 1860 and 1890. Various attempts were made to establish a dominant design, but it was not until near the turn of the century that the experiments with wheels, gears, seats, etcetera converged to the now familiar ‘diamond frame’. This still forms the basis of most cycle designs.
Manufacturers introduced all sorts of incremental improvements including new materials (e.g. alloy steels for the frame), new components (e.g. gears), accessories (e.g. lights), etc. By 1930, there were bicycles to suit different market segments, ranging from dependable working cycles with 3-speed gears, lever operated brakes, through to high-performance racing and sports bikes made of lightweight materials and incorporating advanced gear and braking technology. This phase was very much about market segmentation – innovating to suit the needs of different user groups.
Walking into a bike shop can be a dizzying experience, especially if you haven’t ridden a bike since you were a kid. Fortunately, today’s bicycles are lighter, faster and more adaptable to an enormous range of riding styles. No matter what type of riding you do, there is a bike for you. In this article, we have enlisted the top 3 hottest road bikes of 2017, details of which are covered under each.
- Advertisement -
Fast and efficient on every road surface, the Specialized Roubaix Elite is an endurance road bike that offers an incredibly smooth ride, with predictable handling characteristics, making it ideal for sportive and rides over less than perfect road surfaces.
This bike features revolutionary compliance technology developed in partnership with McLaren. The Future Shock is a piston in the head tube offering 20mm of travel to reduce fatigue over rough terrain allowing you to ride faster. Positioned above the head tube, the Future Shock offers vertical compliance while the wheels are still rigidly held together by the frame. This means, that unlike traditional suspension systems, or forks that offer fore/aft deflection, the wheelbase remains constant, so you get extremely predictable handling combined with a smooth ride. In addition to this, the seat-post offers 20mm of rearward arc compliance for comfort in the saddle that still maintains frame stiffness and geometry.
The Fact 10r carbon fiber composite frame is the lightest that Specialized have ever made and is combined with the top of the line Roubaix FACT 11r carbon disc fork, with 12m thru-axle, for supreme stiffness. Endurance geometry offers a slightly more upright riding position that is ideal for long rides over challenging terrain, while Ride-First Engineering ensures that you get the same great ride experience in every frame size.
The Shimano 105 2×11 speed groupset is combined with a Praxis Alba compact chainset and wide range cassette for reliable shifting over a wide range of gears. Tektro Spyre mechanical disc brakes offer confident all-weather stopping power while the 26c puncture protection tires offer a little extra grip.
Speed, comfort and a supremely smooth ride, you get them all on the Specialized Roubaix Elite.
- Lightweight FACT 10r carbon frame is lightweight, stiff and strong
- FACT 11r carbon fork is stiff, strong and reactive
- Future Shock offers 20mm of vertical compliance for a smoother ride
- Shimano 105 2×11 speed for reliable shifting over a wide gear range
- Tektro Spyre disc brakes for all-weather stopping control
- Sizes: 49cm, 52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 61cm
- Colour: Nordic Red/Black
The Domane is the name given to Trek’s endurance range. Designed to tackle the cobbles of the Paris-Roubaix, the Domane features Trek’s patented ISO-Speed de-coupler, located between the seat tube and the top tube. ISO-Speed gives greater compliance over rough terrain without a loss of stiffness and power transfer.
Now it is present at the front as well. Just like Domane SLR, the SL6 has ISO-Speed placed in the top of the head tube complimenting the rear in delivering a smooth ride and perhaps saving the rider’s shoulders and neck.
Another key feature for the SL6 would have to be the Vision Metron 40’s Trek have supplied with the bike. Usually, the first item to be upgraded on a new bike, it’s great to see a quality set of wheels included as standard. The SL6 is also equipped with Shimano’s much revered Ultegra 11 speed groupset.
The ride is incredibly stable. The 32mm tires give a great deal of confidence, almost gliding over pitted and bumpy road surfaces. Complementing the tires, the ISO-Speed iron out any and all road buzz that might spoil a great riding experience.
Finally, the disc brakes provide the ultimate safety and stability.
The SL6 definitely delivers in being a fast ride, it is also quick up hills. It is a great bike for professionals and amateurs alike.
- It has an ISO Speed De-Coupler technology which gives a smooth ride over rough roads.
- As befits the world’s most advanced endurance racing bikes, they have developed the world’s most stable racing geometry in this bicycle. It is still racy but with a slightly higher head tube for better stability and greater comfort through the entire ride.
- Direct brake mounts connect directly to the frame to reduce redundant parts and increase overall braking performance.
- Trek endurance geometry is a triple threat, maximizing control handling and responsiveness through perfectly tuned rider weight bias.
- Sleek, race-optimised cable routing system virtually eliminates friction for the crispest shifting in any conditions.
- It has an additional tire clearance which allows it to go places where no road bike has ever gone before.
- This Trek innovation connects the exclusive E2 head tube and BB90 bottom bracket with a wide, ultra-stiff down tube that transfers more of your pedaling power to the road, for more speed out of every pedal turn.
- 550 Series OCLV achieves a superb balance of weight, strength, and stiffness that’s perfectly suited to sophisticated frame technologies that distinguish Trek frames.
- Bontrager Stem Technology lets you clip your gear directly to the stem for clean looks and maximum user friendliness.
This bike provides the next generation road performance. The Giant TCR Advanced 2 Disc is a rapid road race bike that offers superior control in all conditions.
Blending stiffness and riding compliance the Advanced-Grade, carbon fiber composite frame features compact road geometry for versatile all-around road race performance. It is designed to make the most of the powerful speed control that disc brakes offer. The Mega-Drive downtube and Over-Drive steer add stiffness for lighting quick accelerations and pinpoint steering control. Keeping you comfortable on long days in the saddle the Variant seat-post offers just enough compliance to absorb the road chatter.
The Shimano hydraulic disc brakes offer easy to use braking power that works consistently well in all weather conditions. The Shimano 105 drivetrain offers slick shifting performance with the same gear ratios as higher end groupsets.
Cycle with more efficiency and control on the TCR Advanced 2 Disc.
- Advanced-Grade composite frame is stiff and lightweight
- Compact road geometry for nimble race handling
- Hydraulic disc brakes for confident all-weather stopping power
- Shimano 105 2×11 speed drivetrain for slick shifting
- Sizes: Small, Medium, Medium/Large, Large, X-Large
- Colour: Carbon/Red
- Weight: 8.6kg