Phasmophobia is a 4-player indie survival horror developed by Kinetic games. The game was made available in September 2020 on Steam and comes with virtual reality support. It became the center of attention during the Halloween season when famous Twitch streamers and YouTubers started playing it and it gained much popularity afterward becoming the sixth most popular game on Twitch. The game has an overall rating of 10/10 on Steam.
The game is all about teamwork and survival. You have to go to a haunted location and kill ghosts there and complete the objectives. Unlike other survival games, Phasmophobia focuses on different gears, gadgets like motion sensors to play and explore with where you select the right tools to face ghosts.
Phasmophobia has a lot of connectivity issues
Phasmophobia is not perfect and is full of bugs and issues. After its release, the game became the victim of many issues like the mic connection issue, game crashing at launch, voice chat issues, being stuck at the loading screen, and client timeout error. The client timeout error is an error faced by the Phasmophobia community all over the world.
— Skye (@Residentdead88) October 17, 2020
After the recent patch of the game, despite the error being fixed, it started to occur again in the game and the community has been getting annoyed by this. People have been facing these problems and hundreds of complaints have been lodged towards the devs.
However, since it is a low-budget game, we can’t complain much. So, our team has found some fixes that might help you fix the client timeout error in Phasmophobia and enjoy uninterrupted gameplay. Following are some of the methods that you can try to get the client timeout error fix.
Here are some things that you can do to solve the client timeout error:
1. Restart your Game:
The most obvious rule of tech, restart your device. Use this classic method to get problems fixed. If you see a client timeout error once you log into the game, close the application and restart it. This method tends to kill any disturbing process as well as frees the memory from the system. This method works often and it might help you as well
2. Check your Internet Connection:
If relaunching your game doesn’t work, try to check your internet connection. The first thing that you should do whenever you encounter this error is that you must check the internet connection and try to restart the router. Try to turn off the router and wait for 10-15 seconds and turn it back on again.
To have more detail about how to check your net issue, kindly see these points.
- Do check if the router is placed near the PC and there is no such blockage that can block the Wi-Fi signals, for example, the wire is fine and not bent.
- Do adjust the antenna of the router, it might have been misplaced by someone, and the signals don’t come fast as they do when the antenna is correctly positioned.
- Turn on QoS in the router settings and prioritize your PC.
- Use a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi. And, if you are using Wi-Fi, use a 5GHz connection.
- If your other devices in the home are connected with the same connection you are playing Phasmophobia on, then switch off the Wi-Fi from those devices. The burden of so many devices might be overloading your router, especially if it is a cheaper one.
3. Change the game servers:
If you are still facing the issue, try changing the servers of the game manually. The server setting is located on the main menu. To change the servers you must close the game, restart it, and change the servers. Try choosing the nearest server as it tends to give better results and less ping as well.
If you are playing on EU servers then after launching the game change it to US servers. This option has been successful for many users in-game. Servers play an important role because if you have selected a nearer server from where you are playing, the game will run properly. Furthermore, due to the small size of the developer, the game’s servers aren’t exactly robust so switching over is always a good option.
Also read: How to fix Phasmophobia performance issues?
4. Kill Interfering Programs to stabilize Internet
While playing the game, if you are on discord, close any program that may be interfering with the game or close discord and restart it once you are in the game. Also, try closing any other resource-hogging application to minimize the Internet loads on interference. Then after launching the game when you are in a match, use discord then. One of the users suggested that don’t move your camera until everyone is in a match.
5. Disconnect VPN
If you are using a VPN and have connected yourself with another server then you must disconnect yourself from VPN and choose the server of your actual region or choose the one that is close to your region. If you live in the US, and by VPN, you have connected yourself with EU then change your server immediately. VPN can also affect connection speed as the signal has to bounce between locations to reach its destination.
6. Verify the Phasmophobia file integrity
One way to tackle this error is to verify the game integrity files because sometimes your game files could be corrupted or could go missing when you download the game via Steam. To verify the integrity of game files and fix the issue, follow the steps below:
- Head to your steam library.
- Right-click on the game Phasmophobia and select the properties.
- In properties, select the local files tab and then click on the “verify integrity of game files”
- The process will start at once and it may take some time. After that, restart your game.
7. Switch over to Beta Version
If the error is still bugging you, try to switch your game’s build back to the beta version. If you don’t know how to go back to beta, follow the steps given below:
- Head to the Steam library.
- Right-click on your game Phasmophobia and select properties.
- Navigate to the Betas tab and click on it.
- After that click the drop-down menu button and then select the option of “beta unstable build”.
Many of the above fixes tend to resolve the client timeout error. However, if your game gives you the client timeout error despite trying all the above methods, the only option you are left with is to contact the Phasmophobia support team. Hopefully, they can support you with your issue and file an official complaint ticket as well.
Phasmophobia is out now on Steam. You can check it out right here.