Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has been one of the biggest games of the past year. Going back to the roots of the franchise, Infinity Ward has completely redone the core mechanics of the game. As a result, Modern Warfare managed to please most critics while also becoming the best selling Call of Duty game of the generation.
However, the release of the battle royale mode, Call of Duty: Warzone was really what made the game take off. Due to its rather forgiving nature and robust gameplay, Warzone quickly became one of the most popular games around. In fact, it even managed to compete against the giants of the Battle Royale genre like Fortnite and Apex Legends.
Call of Duty: Warzone and Modern Warfare have been out for a while now. However, Infinity Ward has continued to support the game with consistent content updates. We’ve seen multiple new maps, characters, and guns being added to the game over the course of its lifetime.
It seems like Activision and Infinity Ward are really investing heavily in the future of Modern Warfare since each update is bigger than the last.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 4 update is massive
The most recent update to come out for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare & Warzone is the Season 4 update. The new update adds tons of new stuff to the game including a new operator, a map, new weapons, vehicles, cosmetics, and the usual stuff.
What is different this time around though is the new additions to the already loaded Warzone library. Now, Warzone matches will have in-game events that will alter the way you navigate through a match. In addition to that, a new 50v50 mode is also coming to the Battle Royale game.
Although these new changes are very exciting and will keep things fresh for players, they come at a price. The new Season 4 update for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is almost a whopping 80 GB in size for some players, which sounds absolutely ridiculous. This is not the first time such a thing has happened either as Call of Duty games have a seriously bad reputation for their file sizes.
For instance, if you have Modern Warfare and Warzone, you already know that your game is almost 200 GB in size, which can be a bit of a pain, especially for console players. Furthermore, each new update requires almost double the free space for you to download and install it. This means that you’ll probably need to free up over 150 GB to download and install the new Season 4 update.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare throttled download speeds
To make matters worse though, the massive update doesn’t even download at decent speeds for most players. Apparently, the Modern Warfare season 4 update is being throttled by the developer to reduce server strain. Many players have reported that they have failed to hit even 500 KB/s of download speeds when their connections are many times faster.
As a result, both Twitter and Reddit are full of players complaining about the massive update and slow downloads. I mean, who wouldn’t be mad at an update taking days to download? Thankfully. there are a couple of fixes that you can apply to avoid this issue.
1. Use a VPN
If you’re experiencing slow download speeds on Modern Warfare, don’t worry. Your internet is completely fine and the developer is actually throttling the download speeds.
This is usually done based on location and traffic. Apparently, due to heavy traffic, Activision is throttling download speeds for EU players. So, if you want to improve your download speeds, you could try using a VPN and changing your location. If you’re in the EU, your best bet would be to change your location to the US via a VPN.
There are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to VPN services like Nord or Express. However, if you don’t want to pay, there are some free versions out there too.
2. Check your router
Sometimes, routing issues can be the root cause of slow download speeds. Since speed tests are usually done at servers near your location, they can be deceptive of actual speeds. In reality, though, you may be getting routed to a slower server. So, it is always a good idea to restart your router and hope that you connect to a server with less traffic.
3. Use a wired connection
If you’re trying to download the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 4 update on the PS4 or Xbox One, chances are that you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network. While they are generally fine, Wi-Fi networks can get bogged down in terms of speed especially when there are other devices connected to the network as well.
So, another option for you would be to connect your console directly to the router using a LAN cable. This would let your console get the priority for bandwidth over other connected devices.
Your Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 4 update should download at a much faster pace now.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 4 Official Patch Notes
Here are the official patch notes for the Season 4 update of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare copied directly from Infinity Ward:
- Fix for some players not receiving their Season 3 emblem
- Fixes to help reduce players encountering Error Code 13-71. If you still experience this after today’s update, please reach out to Activision Customer Support
- Fix for a bug where the Ghost Perk was not hiding players from the Heartbeat Sensor when viewing the Killcam
- Fixed an issue where some players were unable to activate a Nuke after getting the appropriate number of kills
- Fix for a bug where the 4th Operator Mission for Talon, “Complete 2 Warzone Plunder Matches” was not tracking as intended
- An issue where some players could find long wait times when attempting to load into Ground War matches has been
- Fix for a bug where neutral Hardpoints were appearing yellow instead of grey
- Various exploit fixes across multiple maps
- Fix for the Officer Challenge, “Get 20 kill while crouched” not tracking properly for some players
- Fixed a bug where the white health regen was triggering on downing other players even if Quick Fix wasn’t equipped
- Fix for an exploit where players could sometimes call in duplicate UAVs
- Added new weapon perks to the Specialist Bonus (the bonus earned after getting 8 kills while specialist is active): Frangible-Disabling, Frangible-Wounding, Mo’Money, Recon, Heavy Hitter, FMJ, Presence of Mind
- Fixed a bug where players were unable to perform executions when on some elevated surfaces
- Fixes to help prevent an issue where players were able to move before the match countdown timer completed
- Fixes to help prevent against black graphical corruption issues some players were seeing
- Fix for the “For the Cause” grip tape not appearing properly on the base M4
- Improved stability fixes for PC
- Fixes to help prevent issues with voice chat
- Lowered ammo count for reload warning on belt fed LMG
- Fixed bug with HDR and Sleight of Hand where reloading would not give ammo to the player
- Loot Update: New weapons and updated Blueprints! Be on the lookout for the Fennec, CR-56 Amax, Renetti, and more!
- Fixed a bug where the Recon Contract could spawn inside an Ammo Supply cache, making it unusable
- After completing the Contraband Mission and calling in the extract helicopter, players could shoot the helicopter without receiving hitmarkers and the helicopter would remain on screen indefinitely
- Fixed a bug where players were able to drop their weapon in the Gulag
- Fix for an exploit where players were able to duplicate Self Revive kits
- Fix for a bug where a player was stuck in 3rd person gameplay
- Daily Challenges are now displayed alongside Multiplayer and Warzone challenges
- Fixed an issue where unlocking an Operator skin in Co-Op would not unlock the base skin for that Operator as well
- Fixed a bug where the game would not end correctly if the last player alive used Team Revive immediately before dying
Special Operations: Survival:
- Fix for being able to duplicate the Juggernaut Suit Munition minigun
- Fix for rare instances of waves not ending properly
- Fixed an exploit on St. Petrograd where players could fully hide from soldiers behind a bar