Genshin Impact is a role-playing game. The game is developed and published by miHoYo studio. It was released in 2020 as a free-to-play game. Genshin Impact was released on Playstation, Microsoft, Android, and iOS platforms.
The game is an online multiplayer game featuring four players that take place in an open-world fantasy scenario. After its release, it was acclaimed positively. It gained positive reviews from critics. The game made a total business of $393 million on mobile devices within two months of its release.
Genshin Impact takes place in a fantasy world known as Teyvat. It is the home to seven nations, each different from one another. Each nation is tied to a particular element and ruled by a god. The story revolves around a twin traveler in search of his other half. He wanders in the land in quest of his brother.
With Genshin Impact being released recently, issues and glitches are bound to occur. These issues are fixed through recent updates and patches. However, one error that is annoying for the player base is the Game file Verification error.
Downloaded 1.2 update on PC. "Update files verification error"
Uninstalled then reinstalled the game. "Game files verification error"
That's it. Goodbye @GenshinImpact. I ain't downloading 16GB worth of files more than I should
— zargon (@rikantoropu) January 28, 2021
This error usually happens when you’re downloading the game from the launcher. So far there has been no update from the developers, but we have bundled some fixes for you to resolve the issue. Follow the steps below to fix the game file verification error:-
Restart Genshin Impact
What better fix could be than turning it off and on. This is one of the most effective methods. Most of the time, restarting the application works perfectly. If you encounter a verification error, turn off the game and restart it. You can also close the launcher and try restarting it. This step also fixes corrupted memory glitches and optimizing the performance. If restarting doesn’t work, follow the steps below:-
Run Genshin Impact as Administrator on PC
If you have downloaded files and it failed on verification, try running the game as an Administrator. This step informs the system that your files in safe to run on the system. It happens that sometimes your PC may restrict the working for a particular file(s) so running as an administrator works. To run your game as an Administrator, follow the steps below:-
- Right-click on your game shortcut
- Go to properties and select the Compatibility tab.
- Select the option Run as an administrator.
- Apply the changes and click on Ok
Now restart your PC and click on the game. Hopefully, it gets your issue resolved.
Remove game restriction in Windows Defender
Sometimes it happens that windows defender may have restricted or blacklisted your application and files. Due to this restriction, it may not be working properly. If you are having a verification error, remove the antivirus restriction first. To remove the anti-virus restriction, follow the steps below:-
- Go to the Windows settings page. Press Window key + I for the shortcut.
- Head on to Update and Security, select Windows Security from options
- Under Virus and threats, select Manage settings and go to Exclusions
- Click on Add or remove exclusions, select the folder from your PC to exclude from restrictions
- Save and restart the game
To remove it from the Windows firewall, look at the instruction given:-
- Click on the Windows button and search for Firewall and Network protection
- Click on ‘Allow an application’ through the firewall option
- Select Genshin Impact from the list of applications.
- Select Public and Private domain
- Save and launch your game
By removing firewall and antivirus restrictions, hopefully, you can fix the file verification error. You can also disable antivirus software installed on your PC.
Re-extract the game folder in a new directory
If you are still facing a verification issue, try this method and extract the game file in a new directory.
- Head on to the Game file directory
- Select the folder named ‘Genshin Impact’
- Open Zip file with Winrar and extract files to the default location.
- Head back to the game folder and load the newly created folder
- create a shortcut on the desktop of the recent .exe file and boot your game with this
Once you finish booting your game, your verification issue has been fixed. Now you can enjoy the game without any error.
Download Genshin Impact manually
Although you can download the game from the launcher, the manual download could fix the issue. This will ensure your files are verified properly. The manual download uses IDM so it will also help to install the game quickly. Follow the steps below to download the game manually:-
- Download Genshin Impact Zip file 1.2
- Install launcher from the website
- Open the launcher and set your default directory
- Click on the Update button in the launcher.
- Close the launcher from the task manager and head back to your default location
- Delete GenshinImpact_1.2.0.zip_tmp file from the folder
- After deleting, copy and extract the zip file you downloaded first
- On desktop create a new file and add the text given below and save the file.
[General] channel=1 cps=mihoyo game_version=1.2.0 sub_channel=0
- In your directory, replace the current config.ini file and paste the above-created file there
Once you are done, launch the game from the launcher, and hopefully, your issue has been resolved
Reinstall Genshin Impact
If you have recently installed the game and get this error, it is basically due to corrupted or missing files. There is no method other than complete;y uninstalling the game. This method is quite infuriating and time consuming given the game size and varying connection speed.
You need completely uninstall the game from the system and download the files again. This step deletes all the corrupted files and glitches and provides a fresh start. If you are playing the game before and see this error, it could be due to a server problem or connection issues. Try restarting the game or wait for some time and try it again. Hopefully, it gets fixed after restarting.
If you have tried the above methods and still getting verification errors, try contacting the Genshin support team. Many players around the world are lodging complaints on Twitter and hopefully, we will be getting it fixed soon through new patches and updates.