The Avengers Endgame event for Fortnite has been teased by Epic Games for quite some time now. They’ve been throwing little hints in their tweets and everyone has been wildly speculating what all of it could actually mean. Well, the speculation is now over as the event has been officially revealed now. Coming with the release of update 8.50, the Fortnite x Avengers crossover event has brought the Avengers to Fortnite to battle Thanos and Chitauri. Everyone was guessing that we’d get some sort of weapons within a game mode themed around the Avengers and that’s exactly what the case is here. The update 8.50 is out now on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, Android and iOS devices.
It is pretty damn impressive how Epic games have managed to pull this off again. I know everyone has been praising them for the consistent stream of game-changing content they add every single week and the praise has been getting repetitive but it is still an extremely impressive feat nonetheless. Just last week, we had a whole new spin on the Battle Royale genre with the 8.40 Air Royale update. To push out such a massive update after that in just a single week is just mind-boggling. This is probably the biggest reason why Fortnite is still on top and shows no signs of going down any time soon. No one has been able to compete as evident by the slump in numbers for Fortnite’s closest rival, Apex Legends. It is Fortnite’s world and we’re just living in it.
We’re in the Endgame now
This is not the first time we’re getting an Avengers themed event. Last year, when Avengers: Infinity War was released, we got a similar LTM for Fortnite alongside it. In that event, a player could find the infinity gauntlet on the map and into Thanos to wreak havoc across the map. This time, however, Epic have stepped up their game even further and the Endgame event has a lot more to it than just playing as Thanos. The Endgame limited time mode can be viewed as a team deathmatch. The players are divided into two teams, Team Thanos and Team Avengers.
Team Thanos consists of Thanos himself and the Chitauri. Their objective is to gather all six infinity stones scattered and hidden around the map and then eliminate the heroes. The Chitauri start the match with a powerful laser rifle, an anti-structure grenade attack and a jetpack with brief bursts. At the start of the match, all the players on Team Thanos are Chitauri and there is no Thanos. However, when a player manages to find the first infinity stone, they turn into Thanos. Retrieving additional infinity stones increases the health for Chitauri and gives Thanos additional strength.
The player controlling Thanos will be able to jump higher, deal significantly more damage, bash their way through walls. Thanos also has a destructive beam attack that inflicts laser damage and roasts anyone that comes in its way. In addition to that, every time another Infinity Stone is found, Thanos gains a boost to his ability. For example, getting the green Time Stone adds knockback and increases the damage by 3 times. You can find the rest of the details about what each stone does down below in the patch notes. If the heroes somehow manage to defeat Thanos, another random player will turn into the super villain after a little while.
On the Avengers side of things, all they have to do is defeat Team Thanos. This is done by eliminating all the members on the opposing team. However, it is not that simple as Team Thanos is significantly stronger especially with the massive titan Thanos leading the charge. So, they need to come up with a strategy to tackle the enemy team and go against the odds, just like in the movie. Thankfully, the players on team Avengers can respawn over and over again if they die. However, once Team Thanos manages to find and gather all six infinity stones, the respawns stop. So, when someone dies after all the infinity stones have been found, they’re dead permanently.
Team Avengers does get some help in order to defeat Thanos though. The heroes start with a treasure map that points them to location for a special Mythic Avengers item. They can also find other special Avengers items in various chests dotted around the map. These items include some iconic Avengers weapons. For Example, players can get Thor’s Stormbreaker Axe, Iron Man’s Repulsors, and Captain America’s Shield. These weapons all come with their own unique special abilities and will be absolutely necessary if the Team Avengers wants to have any chance of repelling the Chitauri Invaders led by Thanos.
V8.50 Endgame Event Patch notes:
Thanos and his Chitauri invade the Battle Royale island, in search of the six Infinity Stones.
- Endgame features a team of heroes fighting to stop Thanos and his Chitauri from claiming all six Infinity Stones.
- Both teams respawn when eliminated until the other side completes their objective.
- On one side is the Hero team. Heroes respawn when eliminated until the enemy team has found all six Infinity Stones.
- Heroes start with a treasure map that leads directly to a Mythic Avengers item.
- Other Avengers items can be found in Chests throughout the map.
- The goal for the Hero team is to destroy the Chitauri army and defeat Thanos.
- Team Thanos comprises of Chitauri Invaders and Thanos himself.
- Chitauri Invaders start with a powerful laser rifle, an anti-structure grenade attack, and a jetpack that lets them briefly leap high into the air.
- The first Chitauri to recover an Infinity stone will be transformed into Thanos.
- Thanos has a powerful punch, a destructive beam attack, and the ability to jump high into the air and then smash anything in his way when he comes back down.
- Each time an Infinity Stone is claimed, Thanos’ abilities grow more powerful and the Chitauri gain health.
- Reality Stone (Red) = Heath & Shields doubled (1000->2000)
- Soul Stone (Orange) = Siphon activated (grants Thanos shields only)
- Mind Stone (Yellow) = Jump height doubled
- Space Stone (Blue) = Ground Pound AOE size tripled, damage x6
- Time Stone (Green) = Big knockback added to each hit, damage x3
- Power Stone (Purple) = Laser damage x6
- If Thanos is eliminated from the match, another Chitauri will become him after a short wait (unless Thanos is the last one standing).
- If Thanos & the Chitauri find all six Infinity Stones, Heroes will no longer be able to respawn.
- The goal for Thanos and his army is to find the stones and then eliminate the remaining heroes.
The update also came with many bug fixes and quality of life improvements. You can view the full patch notes for version 8.50 right here.