Call of Duty: Modern Warfare reboot has been the most successful Call of Duty game since Advanced Warfare. In fact, it is the most successful Call of Duty game of this generation and is well on its way to overtake many of its other successful predecessors.
With Modern Warfare, Infinity Ward has brought the franchise back to its roots. There are no jetpacks or space battles, it’s just the classic boots-on-ground Call of Duty experience. The game has also adopted a much grittier tone and delves into darker themes much more often.
The biggest success, however, has been the multiplayer mode for the game. With it’s slower-paced classic gameplay and bigger maps, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare arguably has the most expansive variety of multiplayer gameplay in the series.
- Advertisement -
Infinity Ward isn’t becoming complacent either though as the game continues to receive several updates that introduce all kinds of new weapons, maps and game modes into the mix.
New Crossbow gets introduced in the latest 1.13 Patch
The latest addition to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare arsenal of deadly weapons is the crossbow. This is not a new addition to the series as it has been a weapon in previous installments. However, it was more of a hit or miss weapon back then with not many favoring it in their usual loadouts.
This time around though, the Crossbow is promised to pack a greater punch than before. According to early tests, the weapon is extremely lethal if used properly. With it’s silent bolts that kill on a single hit, the crossbow has the potential to be one of the best weapons in the game.
Furthermore, the weapon also comes with 20 bolts so you’re not going to run out of them any time soon either. The bolts are also recoverable meaning you can get retrieve them from the ground or the enemy after they’ve been used.
The best part? It isn’t locked behind any paywall and can be unlocked by everyone for free. Here’s how to do it.
How to unlock the Crossbow in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Unlocking the crossbow is plain and simple. All you need to do is complete a relatively easy challenge and the crossbow will be unlocked in your inventory. Here’s the challenge:
Get 5 Kills in 25 different matches using a Marksman Rifle equipped with a Reflex Optic sight.
Sounds easy enough, right? If you’re still not sure how to get 5 kills in so many matches though, here’s a good recommended loadout for you that will help you with achieving your goal.
While you can use any of the three marksman rifles available to you, we recommend using the MK2 Carbine for better lethality with a single shot. While you can technically use the gun in close quarters, it would still be better if you stick to long ranged combat if possible for maximum effectiveness. Then, just stick a Reflex Optic sight on to your rifle.
For perks, you’re going to want E.O.D, Restock and Spotter in the three slots for that perfect marksman combination. While this may not be suited to players who like to run and gun, it is a pretty effective way to almost guarantee over 5 kills in every single game.
Once you have completed the challenge, the Crossbow will be unlocked. However, there seems to be a bug in the game right now that prevents players from getting that Crossbow and instead comes up with an error message. Here’s what to do in case your game is bugged.
How to deal with the Crossbow unlock glitch
While Infinity Ward has said that the issue has been somewhat fixed, some users are still reporting it. The glitch basically brings up an error message. However, instead of acknowledging the error message and pressing anything, you should hard close your application.
We're currently investigating an issue where players are getting an error prompt informing them their data is corrupt or did not download properly. Please do not select either option, but please hard close your application. Thank you for your patience while we work on this issue.
— Infinity Ward (@InfinityWard) January 22, 2020
While you can boot it up and try again, it would be advised if you wait for a fix from Infinity Ward. It is a shame that such a massive update was pushed out with a game-breaking bug but if you want to make sure that your achievements, progress and loadouts stay intact, you should follow the developer’s advice.
Update: A new patch that fixes the Crossbow update problem on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is being rolled out by Infinity Ward as of now and should be available to you soon. Hopefully, downloading that will fix most of the issues that currently persist with the update.
Do you think the Crossbow can be a viable option for the best loadouts in the game or is it just another useless addition to the game? Let us know down in the comments below!
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare v1.13 – January 22 Patch Notes
- Playlist Update: Added Capure the Flag and Shoot the Ship (Removes Shoot House 24/7) playlists! We also added Aniyah Palace back into rotation
- 5 additional loadout slots!
- New Weapon – Crossbow! Unlocked by using a Marksman Rifle with a Reflex Optic, get 5 kills in 25 different matches!
- In some cases, players could hit an invisible kill trigger in a bush that would cause them to die instantly while near A Flag on Port. This has been fixed.
- Fixed an out of bounds exploit on Aniyah Palace
- Temporarily removing Krovnik Farmland out of rotation while we work on a few bugs
- Fix for a bug that could lock a PC player’s FOV at 60 until they respawn while in Ground War
- The “Stand Together” calling card (3 Wins in Team Deathmatch) was being awarded even though this calling card is earned by default. This has been adjusted to the “Redemption” calling card.
- The Daily Challenge for getting “10 Claymore Kills” was awarding the “One Shot” spray which is unlocked by default. This has been adjusted to the “Soft Serve” spray.
- Fix for an issue where the playlist filter would not switch game modes, even with multiple modes selected
- Adjusted the damage threshold for “Get X Kills while Injured” challenge to make it a bit easier to obtain
- Various out-of-map exploit fixes
- Fix for a few graphical errors that could occur on Ground War maps
- Infected: Fixed a bug where the Nuke effects and audio will interrupt and overlap the final killcam if called in after death of the final survivor
- Fixes to the Recent Players list appearing incorrectly on Xbox
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to capture the Hardpoint while in the hotel on St. Petrograd
- Adjusted the obituary to remove the oldest items first
- Fixed a bug that would reset Voice Chat settings after the application was hard closed
- Fix for a bug that allowed player collision. This has been fixed
- Players can no longer cancel their recovery state when sliding, but will always incur the standard fire delay (visually the player will still respond)
- On Shipment, players are able to set Care Packages on spawn points, causing players to die instantly when spawning in on these points. This has been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where the Elite Xbox One controller had a slight bounce back with the analog sticks
- Fixed a bug that could give players invincibility
- Fix for some Officer Progression emblems not displaying the correct rarity
- Fixed an issue that would lock Operator missions despite having the correct Battle Pass Tier
- Fixed a bug where using the ‘Stopping Power Rounds’ Field Upgrade with an empty C4 slot would cause the C4 detonator to appear before reloading with the Stopping Power Rounds
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to reach unintended locations while manipulating the Weapon Drop Field Upgrade
- Fixed a bug that allowed the Recon Drone to fly into geo if C4 was thrown onto it
- Fix for Stopping Power Rounds not applying the correct damage boost to headshots
- Increased protection radius
- Decreased the radius and the damage taken by trophy explosions
- Fixed a bug where the explosion damage and effects wouldn’t trigger for the third explosion
- Fixed a bug that allowed the Cruise Missile to kill players while out of bounds on Shipment
- Fixed a bug where the 1mW Laser would not appear equipped on the 1911 pistol while in the Gunsmith menu
- M4A1 Blueprint “OG” ADS position moved forward; the viewmodel or gun’s position relative to the camera or player’s eye is moved forward more, so it blocks less of the line of sight
- Changing the magazine capacity from 45 to 50 for the RAM-7 extended magazine.
- Increasing the bullet penetration of the MK2 Carbine
- Less horizontal recoil on the initial bullets of the FN Scar-17
- Changed the way stats are displayed for stocks to be more consistent with other attachments (this is for the graphs only, not the actual stats)
Call of Duty League
- Domination: Flags must be neutralized before being captured again. Settings for neutralization timing are now available in settings
- Decreased charge time on the Trophy System
- Headshot multiplier damage has been clamped; torso and headshots are now the same
- Removed lightweight boost and decreased charge time on Dead Silence
- Reworked minimap visuals (removed outside map background, removed minimap frame)
- Improved readability of the killfeed and nameplate colors
- Improved the quality of the colored arrows shown under players when using the Aerial Camera
- Data View feature has been temporarily removed
- Tweaked parts of the Battle Pass UI in order to better support higher Aspect Ratios
- Fixed an issue with the sound effects on the Support Helo
- Several fixes to prevent crashes and improve stability