Boya Gongdao Robot Technology Co., Ltd. is a company in Beijing whose main aim is research and development of underwater robots and automation equipment. It also provides training and services in robot technology. Noteworthy developments by the company include biomimetic robot fish, underwater unmanned vehicles, water quality monitoring and pollution regulating robots.
Dr. Xiong Minglei, the founder of the company, from the Engineering Institute of Peking University, develops industry-university-research cooperation with a research and development team. The team has successfully introduced BIKI, a bionic robot fish.
BIKI is the world’s first bionic underwater drone. Its noteworthy features include automatic obstacle avoidance, automated balance, and a return to base feature. Its dynamic camera helps capture amazing moments in the best possible manner. Because it can move around like a real fish, the perspective it can capture photos from is unparalleled.
BIKI is basically an underwater photography robot which can be put to many uses. It is not only great for photos of your underwater adventures, it can also be put to research use. You can discover the vast world under the sea and discover inaccessible places where you yourself might not be able to reach. The possibilities are endless.
- Advertisement -
BIKI makes use of a wireless underwater communication system and artificial intelligence technology to give optimum results under water. With no wires and cables, this robot takes underwater photography to the next level. Photography enthusiasts can experiment with BIKI and use it for professional photography as well as capturing awe-inspiring personal moments with ease, and flexibility.
BIKI, the world’s first bionic robofish, can dive as deep as 196 feet underwater. The swim time is approximately 90-120 minutes with a speed up to 1.12mph. Use it freely either to discover the unlimited mysteries of the world under the sea or simply take it as a swimming companion and record countless unforgettable moments with friends and family.
Tail Fin Driven Technology
BIKI is driven by the tail fin which controls and moderates the direction of its movement. This technology is based on reverse Von Kármán vortex street theory. In fluid dynamics, a Kármán vortex street (or a von Kármán vortex street) is a repeating pattern of swirling vortices caused by the unsteady separation of flow of a fluid around blunt bodies as opposed to a streamlined body.
BIKI has been designed keeping eco-friendliness in mind. It does not disturb the ecosystem in which it operates. While swimming, it only produces 55 decibels of noise. Like dolphins, it uses a bionic sonar echolocation process to locate objects in its surroundings.
Thanks to technology, this marine drone does not collide with objects around it while functioning. This technology is also found in aerial drones such as the DJI Phantom 4. Since it has to work underwater, the body is made up of corrosion resistant material. Its fiberglass body is resistant to weathering and can sustain a temperature of 0-70 degree Celsius. In short, the materials used for making this drone make it a rugged, all-weather object which is perfect for working underwater.
How BIKI Works
BIKI works using an internal transducer to launch varying bandwidths of sonic waves. This way, it can be used in any water body be it a pool or the ocean. It comes with a controller and an app on your smartphone. Through them, you can control and guide BIKI underwater. The most amazing thing about BIKI is that it shows its surroundings to the user in real-time. Thus, this drone becomes your eyes underwater. Discover the world under the sea or capture your toddler’s first dive in the pool, BIKI can do it all.
The app for controlling BIKI is available for both iOS and Android-based operating systems.
Some remarkable features of BIKI are given below:
- Advanced Bionics Tech – With a bionic design, volume and weight of this drone are minimalistic which increases its operating efficiency by 30%. As a result, it is able to go anywhere.
- Automated Balance – It works on the principle of IMU (inertial measurement unit) and exclusive algorithm by the name ROBOSEA. These result in maintaining BIKI’s balance underwater.
- Automated Obstacle Avoidance – Infrared positioning is the main principle used in BIKI through which it automatically avoids crashing into obstacles. Infrared Position Sensors are installed in this drone which intelligently guides the robot to avoid obstacles. This technology enables BIKI to operate in complex environments without any trouble.
- Automated Return to Base – BIKI has a built-in GPS module which keeps track of the drone at all times. With the help of this GPS, it returns to base automatically and sends the real-time location to your mobile device.
- Weight: 4 lbs (1.1 kg)
- LED Light: 2 x 114 Lumen Lights
- Video Resolution: 3840 x 2160 P
- Image Resolution: 16 Mega Pixels
- Internal Memory: 32 GB
- Photo USB: 14 M/S Max
- Battery: 2600 mAh
- Charging Time: 2 hours
- Battery Life: 90-120 minutes
- Speed: 12 mph
- Depth: 196 Feet (Max)
- Noise: 55 dB Ultra Silence
- Drop Test: 30 cm
- Wi-Fi: Transfer Distance 82.02 (25 m) Control Distance 164.04 ft. (50 m)
- Wave Resistance Rating: 2
- Obstacle Avoidance Sensor: Infrared Ray
- Effective Detectable Distance: 76 – 11.81 inch (7-30 cm)
- Controller Specifications (Only in the water)
- Weight: 14 lbs (65 g)
- Effective Control Distance: 81 ft. (10 m)
- Functional Buttons: Accelerate, Decelerate, Left Turn, Right Turn, Float Upward, Submerge, Photograph, Videotape, Light on
- App (Only in the air)
- Connect Speed: Wi-Fi 65 Mbps
- Download Speed: 2 m/s
Items inside the Box
BIKI comes in a box which contains the following items at the time of purchase:
- 1 x BIKI
- 1 x Waterproof Bag
- 1 x Controller
- 1 x Charging Cable
- 1 x Charger