The Amazon just launched its new security camera along with the new “Key” indoor delivery service for its Prime members. The Cloud Cam is an integral part of Amazon Key.
Amazon Key is a new in-home service that allows your Amazon packages to be dropped off inside your home. But first, you have to have an approved smart lock (via smart lock partners) to grant the delivery person access to your home and the Cloud Cam to monitor the delivery.
The bundled Amazon Key In-Home Kit will include a Cloud Cam and a Key-enabled smart lock; it is only available to Amazon Prime subscribers.
Additionally to the confirming the deliveries (where available) the Cloud Cam will be handy for checking pets from work, monitoring your doors or rooms while on the road, or looking in on kids or babies. Spec wise, it’s a pretty decent model for the price ($119.99), giving you wide-angle 1080p video, night vision via eight infrared LEDs, two-way audio over Alexa (“tell your dog to stop barking,” Amazon suggests) and free storage for clips. It’ll work with the Echo Show, Echo Spot, Amazon Fire TV devices and Fire tablets.
The system works on the basis of “advanced motion detection and computer vision technology” that gives you custom alerts, which it sends to the mobile app. For the price of the camera, you get recording and cloud storage of the last 24 hours of clips for up to three cameras. Since it’s AWS Cloud-powered and includes free updates, the device will get smarter over time and adapt to your daily habits.
There are couple of subscriptions you would have sign up for, one subscription also gives you “Person Detection,” flagging human activity instead of, say, pets, along with Zones, which lets you mark off areas of your home to ignore. As with most Amazon subscription products, you can try it for free for up to a month.
One of the main purposes of the Cloud Cam, as you’d expect, is to verify Amazon deliveries. For that to work, you’ll need to get the $140 Key Edition Cloud Cam, along with an Amazon Key-compatible smart lock. Using Amazon’s Key app, you can use the camera to confirm deliveries or verify the identity of friends or guests who unlock the door.
To sum it all, the Cam would be a package of the following cool features:
- 24/7 monitoring – Stay connected to your home, family, and pets. Catch activities as they happen in 1080p Full HD and watch the last 24 hours of clips for free.
- Notifications – Get notified when Cloud Cam sees activity and use the Cloud Cam App to check in anytime with live view.
- See clearly in the dark – Night vision lets you detect what’s happening around the clock.
- Two-way audio – Check in with the family or tell your dog to stop barking.
- 30-day free trial – Get advanced features like person detection, Zones, and more storage, plus download & share clips with a Cloud Cam subscription.
- Works with Alexa – Just ask Alexa to show your live feed on your Amazon Fire TV, Fire Tablet, Echo Show, or Echo Spot.
- Cloud Cam’s intelligence lives in the cloud so it is always getting smarter with more advanced alerts, detection, and features.
- Amazon Key compatible version – With the Cloud Cam (Key Edition) and a compatible smart lock, eligible Prime members can watch their in-home package delivery live or later.
“Cloud Cam has all the features you need to monitor your home, including a 1080p Full HD camera, night vision, two-way audio, and free storage for clips–and with the secure AWS cloud powering Cloud Cam’s advanced computer algorithms and intelligent alerts, the service is always getting smarter,” said Charlie Tritschler, Vice President, Amazon Devices, in a statement.
So keep up waiting to experience a revolutionized delivery cum security system by Amazon.