If you are one of the people who find it hard to choose between an iPhone device and an Android phone, when it comes to purchasing a new mobile, this new addition to the world of technology will probably save you the hassle and effort.
Imagine having the top two Operating Systems- iOS and Android, on the same device and that too with just the purchase of one phone set and its protecting cover. An Israeli startup company- Esti, after an extended period of research and development, put forward a revolutionary iPhone cover case, known as ‘The Eye’.
It is such an extraordinarily unique product that has been designed to magnify the functionality of your iPhone by providing a separate version of Android on its back. Along with the protection that the cover will provide to your phone from any external damage, “Eye” will also upsurge the battery capacity of your device due to the external chargeable power source provided along with the casing.
The startup got established two years ago by Jonathan Sabri- founder ESTI. He is amazed at the feedback and success of his product’s campaign. Sabri said:
“Once the big newspapers picked up on our product, the popularity just exploded.”
Last month, when the “Eye” got introduced, it had already raised $97,000, exceeding its initial goal of $95,000. Now, after a month has passed, Eye, with the funding almost 4,000 sponsors has raised over $650,000 in a Kickstarter campaign; i.e. 6x times more than the set goal, to support the manufacturing of the latest technology.
About the EYE:
The iPhone casings is packed with an almost standalone Android version.
What is shared between the two OS?
- The only connection that exists between the two operating systems is the protection a case which uses the lightening port of iPhone lightning port, enabling the transference of power and files etc.
- The rear-facing camera is also shared between the two. The Eye shares IPhone’s rear camera i.e. makinghigh qualityimages from both possible.
Android Features and Specifications
- iPhone Compatibility: The ‘Eye’ is compatible with all latest Apple handsets; ranging from iPhone 6 to the most recent model; Apple iPhone 6, Apple iPhone 6 Plus, Apple iPhone 6s, Apple iPhone 6s Plus, Apple iPhone 7 and Apple iPhone 7 Plus.
The developers have also promised an Android update support for up to two years
- Android Version: Preinstalled Android Nougat 7.1
- Dimension: 5.5” – 1920×1080
- Screen: Full HD AMOLED Screen display
- Thickness: 0.52” wide
- Resolution: 1080 x 1920 FHD
- Chipset: Helio P20, from MediaTek (MT6757)
- Octa-core CPU
- Frequency: Mali-T880 MP2 900MHz GPU
- RAM: 3 GB
A great new about having this case is the added storage that EYE offers to the iPhone users. All the pictures, videos, messages and other data can be moved to the Android side of the OS by saving it a microSD card, having an extended capacity of up to 256GB and a native 16 GB storage. This data will then be accessible on Android using the built-in File Explorer on Android.
- Sims card slots:
You can insert two SIM cards into the device, enabling you to have three different numbers on one phone. The Eye will enable you to make and receive separate calls on the two operating systems.
- Headphone Jack:
If you own an iPhone7 or 7Plus, you will be able to cherish the 3.5mm headphone jack. In order to use the jack, all that you need to do is to fill in the provided Android’s microSD card with the tracks and songs of your choice and you are good to go.
Since the version of Android available on the casing will be the latest Android 7.1-Nougat, it means that all the compatible apps available on the Google Play Store will available for you.
- Connectivity and Support:
- 4G LTE
- NFC (Near Field Communication) chip
- AOD (Always on Display)
- IR (infrared) Blaster and Receiver to provide the functionality so as to control external devices e.g. Televisions, as a remote controller.
- Charging: Built-in IPhone case Qi Wireless Charging
- Battery capacity: 2800mAh
No matter what your usage of the Android phone may be, the battery of your iPhone set will not get affected negatively. The developers have also added an extra accessory to the phone’s casing that acts as a Power bank, jacking up the charging capacity from 2800mAh to almost 10,000mAh.
Other features: A few other features related to Android, that will be available to users include:
- Native Call Recording
- Customization of colors, icons, home screen, lock screen etc.
- File transfers, giving you a drag and drop functionality
- File Explorer
- Unknown number recognition
- Casing: The iPhone cover is delivered to the user in a clamshell box, which is round in shape when opened and can be used as a stand for your mobile.
- Release date
ESTI, during the campaign, assured the delivery of the product to the market would be in the month of August, next year. This deadline, however, has been questioned by some critics, as they have a doubt with the achievability of the final product, considering the mass production issues the Eye could undergo.
According to the company, two models of the product will be available
- One that supports 4G
- Another that does not support 4G.
The prices of each model will vary, ranging from an expense of $189 to $229.
An additional $59 to $248 will be charged for expanding the internal storage from 16GB to 64GB.
How ‘the Eye’ works?
- Put your iPhone 7/ 7 Plus into the cover casing.
- Upon the insertion of the phone in the case, you will be able to enjoy both Operating Systems.
Jonathan Sabri- The founder of ‘The Eye’ shares his favorite feature by saying:
“My favorite feature is the wireless charging. It just makes life so much easier eliminating all those cables.”
He further explains about the usability of the product:
“It has so many unique properties that, really, anyone can relate to it, even if they don’t have an extensive background in technology. The teenager might be excited about the better-quality selfies, the businessman about the extra space for sim cards, and the geeks about having both the iOS and the Android systems in one device.”
The Wi-Fi Chipset is limited to almost 125 Mbps, which makes it slow.
As amazing as the product is, along with its exceptional functionality and features, it is expected to be shipped to the market for the consumers, in the month of September. This will probably be one of the best things available in the market, since sometimes an iPhone lover may also find certain Android features catchy. Having this casing will make the experience more lovable, pleasant and productive.
Eye- the smart iPhone case by ESTI Inc. may dissolve the competition between the two companies. Also, it will be the best option available for the individuals who find it hard to decide between the two top notch operating systems. It will surely be an epic moment seeing the device bringing together the rivalry of the sibling to an end and presenting something exceptionally remarkable. Enjoy the best of the both worlds, together, on 1 device with ‘Eye’!