Two men arrested for manslaughter after 15 year old girl dies from allergic reaction to takeaway curry

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • Pinterest

Two men have been arrested in connection with the death of a 15 year old girl after she ate an Indian meal. The two takeaway workers are being held on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter by gross negligence after Megan Lee suffered a severe allergic reaction.

The tragic teenager was bluelighted to Royal Blackburn Hospital, but passed away on New Year’s Day two days after she had eaten the curry. So far, a post mortem examination has proved inconclusive.

A Lancashire Police spokesperson said that she had eaten food from a takeaway in Hyndburn before suffering what is believed to have been an allergic reaction. They said that the two men arrested were a 37 year old from Rossendale and a 38 year old from Blackburn. Both are currently being questioned in police custody.

Meanwhile, officers are working with Trading Standards and Environmental Health officials to establish the circumstances surrounding Megan’s death. They said that the family was being kept up to date with how the investigation was proceeding.


The 15 year old lived with her parents Adam, 35, and Gemma, 33. They thanked friends for their support during their personal tragedy, adding: “A role model, an inspiration, our princess, our Megan. Our hearts are shattered at the sudden loss of our beautiful daughter.”

They said their daughter had loved school and particularly enjoyed drama and musical theatre. They described her as kind and loving, and said she was always smiling. Megan was a keen actress who was a member of the ReAct Academy of Theatre Arts in Oswaldtwistle. Staff there described her as a bright and much loved young star. Meanwhile, Richard Jones, headteacher at St Christopher’s school, which she attended, said she was “bright, articulate, thoughtful and caring, and full of so much potential”.

Megan’s death follows hygiene issues for some retaurants and takeaways in the Hyndburn area. Forty four premises were found to need urgent or major hygiene improvements.

error: Content is protected !!