League of Legends (LoL) is a popular multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game developed and published by Riot Games. It is a free-to-play game where players control a champion with unique abilities and compete in teams to destroy the enemy team’s base.
The game is played on a map called Summoner’s Rift, where players fight against computer-controlled minions and enemy champions, as well as defend their own base. Each game typically lasts between 20-40 minutes and ends when one team destroys the other team’s “nexus,” which is the core structure located in the enemy base.
The game has a large community and a thriving esports scene, with professional teams and players competing in various leagues and tournaments around the world.
Here are 20 cool facts about League of Legends that you should know!
- The 2021 League of Legends World Championship had over 1 billion hours of watched content, making it the most watched esports event in history.
- The game’s original map, Summoner’s Rift, was inspired by a custom map from Warcraft III called Defense of the Ancients (DotA).
- The game’s developer, Riot Games, has a full-time team dedicated solely to creating new champion skins.
- In 2020, Riot Games created an in-game event called “Spirit Blossom” that was inspired by traditional Japanese folklore and received high praise for its unique storytelling.
- The game has over 155 million monthly active players.
- The character “Teemo” is one of the most controversial champions in the game due to his small size and ability to stealth in the game’s bushes.
- The character “Seraphine” was designed to be a virtual influencer and musician, with her own social media accounts and music releases.
- The game has been translated into over 20 languages and has servers in multiple regions around the world.
- The character “Sona” was originally designed to be a visual representation of music in the game.
- The game’s annual “All-Star Event” allows players to vote on which professional players they would like to see compete in various game modes.
- Riot Games holds an annual music festival called “Riot Fest” where they showcase live music and performances inspired by their games.
- The character “Ashe” is based on the legend of the same name, who was a queen in Anglo-Saxon mythology.
- The game has a large esports scene with several professional leagues and tournaments taking place throughout the year.
- The game’s developer, Riot Games, was founded in 2006 by two University of Southern California alumni, Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill.
- The game’s lore is expanded upon through various mediums, including comics, books, and music videos.
- The character “Kai’Sa” was designed by a concept artist at Riot Games who was inspired by Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl halftime performance.
- The game’s client, the software used to launch and play the game, underwent a major overhaul in 2021, receiving a new visual design and improved functionality.
- The character “Ziggs” was inspired by the Joker from Batman, with his explosive personality and clown-like appearance.
- The game’s music has received critical acclaim, with several of its tracks being performed live by orchestras around the world.
- The game’s virtual currency, Riot Points, can be used to purchase in-game content such as champions, skins, and emotes.